nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Ihave a german shepherd dog two weeks now when he

Customer Question

Ihave a german shepherd dog for about two weeks now when he poos its very loose, might it be his food. He his 4 years old
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does the stool look like? Any blood or mucus?

Did you change his diet before this started? What is he being fed just now?

When was he last wormed?

What dose of Pepto are you giving? How often? How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has been on the same diet for 3 years Chappie wet small amount and Chappie complete dry food mixed plus a small amount of cooked chicken. His stools are very runny. There does not appear to be any mucus or blood. His stools will be firm on occasion but then becomes runny again. He has not been wormed for some time. We have given him 2 x 5ml doses of PeptoBismol as this has helped in the past He is otherwise quite well, excited and keen to go on his walks and generally a happy chap. His vac's are up to date and he had a health check in August. His weight is 47kg.

Expert:  nekovet replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, John.

Now my concern here with Bentley is that if we have persistent diarrhoea in a dog on the same diet as usual that isn't settling with Pepto Bismol; then we likely have a reason for that. Commonly we will see this lack of improvement when we have infectious agents afoot. These can be bacterial, viral, parasitic, or protozoal. As well, we can see this kind of situation with other health issues (ie metabolic disease, pancreatic issues, IBD, or organ troubles) but we'd hope those would be less likely at his age.

With this in mind, I would advise worming him now if it has been a while. In fact, I would specifically recommend using Panacur (from your vet or local pet store) if possible. The reason is because it is a good broad spectrum wormer and has some effects against protozoa too. That way we can rule out some of out potential causes.

Otherwise, instead of the Pepto (since it has let us down), I would advise trying and Kaolin/probiotic supplement for him like Protexin Prokolin or Canikur. These are available over the counter at most vets, pet stores, and even online. They work to slow diarrhoea but the probiotics can help if we have a mild GI microflora disturbance or a low grade pathogenic bacterial population lurking.

Finally, if this doesn't settle with the above, then I would suggest submitting a fresh stool sample to his vet. This can be sent for testing to determine which issue is present. Depending on the results of this, your vet can confirm if we have an infectious process lurking or if we do need to consider a check to rule out those other concerns for him.

Overall, there are a range of issues that can cause the signs we are seeing with Bentley. Since he has had this already for 2 weeks and hasn't responded to what you have tried thus far, I'd suggest the above approach to cover as many bases as possible and get this settled for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )