Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog is 15 Years old. He seems to be losing control of his

My dog is 15 Years old. He seems to be losing control of his bowels. Stools are usually quite normal but very runny on other occasions. He is a collie cross and has had no real illnesses during his lifetime. He sleeps quite a lot now. Can you help me please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear that Simon is having accidents or losing control of his bowels. There are certain steps that can be taken to reduce this frequency, more often seen in senior pets1.) A high fiber food. This might include a light formula which will have a higher fiber content. This gives a dog a feeling of satiety and when the stomach is full there is an increased urgency to defecate which will help empty the colon2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication3.) Regular walks. Leash walks are critical in emptying the colon completely. Especially an hour or so after meals. When the stomach is full the gi tract tends to start increased motility so there is a natural urge to defecate. If able to walk Simon 5-10 minutes two to three times daily that can help stimulate the colonic emptying and reduce the frequency of accidents4.) Supplements along with the light formula can include white rice (reducing the diet to add this), 1 tbsp canned pumpkin twice daily, 1/2 tsp of miralax, carrots with dinner (I feed my dogs a full whole carrots with dinner) If this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to see your veterinarian to ensure there is no issue with the anal glands, a motility disorder that might require medication to treat, or another metabolic cause of this issue Please let me know if you have any additional questions today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. I feed Simon in the morning and afternoon but "the accidents" happen around 6.00a.m. During the day he has the run of our large garden so does not have organised walks. Should I continue with this routine or alter it?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
The walks are imperative to the routine to ensure regularity. Often with a garden they might move around a little but not get consistent movement stimulating defecation. It's tough when it's early morning because it limits your our options, especially since he gets no evenings meals. Perhaps the pumpkin an hour before bed and adding in a 10 minute walk (even if it is slow for his age) right before bedtime can help these accidents
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!