Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has a light pink lump in the inside corner of his eye.

Customer Question

My dog has a light pink lump in the inside corner of his eye. It is causing it to water! I have cleaned it out with salty warm water. He is a pug cross King Charles. Could you please tell me what this may be and if I need to take him to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Can you upload a photo of this lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. A macro lens is best for a good close-up. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing although I suspect that you're seeing the gland of the third eyelid which has prolapsed in front of that eyelid causing a "cherry eye".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://i.imgur.com/d0Di18u.jpg
Please see link. Hope it works.
Thank you! Yes, that's a prolapsed Hardarian gland of the third eyelid (nictitating membrane). This may result from weakness of connective tissue attaching the base of the gland to the periorbital structures. This doesn't respond to conservative measures; instead, it requires surgical replacement of the third eyelid gland back behind the third eyelid. We see surgical failure in less than 20% of cases but subsequent repositioning is typically successful. It's best that an experienced surgeon performs this surgery. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. Here's another photo of "cherry eye":
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much Dr Salkin. I really appreciate your help.
What do you recommend I do now? Do I need to get him to the vets ASAP???
It's not an emergency but the longer the gland is exposed to the air, the more swelling we can expect and so it's best that Leo be attended to at your earliest convenience. You're quite welcome. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much! I shall get him an appointment tomorrow!
Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are more than welcome!
My best to Leo! No need to reply.