Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My 13 week old pomeranian puppy has his neck clamped in a doorway

My 13 week old pomeranian puppy has his neck clamped in a doorway - he is sleeping now, he didn't cry, and was licking and not panting excessively. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your puppy Beta. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that you'll eventually need to give me a good rating before I receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Jo, I am here!

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Glad you're there. I'm happy to do what I can to help. This has to be a really scary situation for you. The tricky thing is that an accident like this could seriously injure a tiny pup, or she could be fine. You'll have to assess her to try to figure that out. (typing more)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, I was trying to find a location to take him to tmrw but my vet is closed. When I was feeling his neck he didn't have any bumps and was playing with his chew toy

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
If I were examining a pup after an accident like this, I'd want to look at the following:Any trouble breathing?Any bleeding?Any difficulty moving around... can he walk normally?Can he move his head and neck normally?Does his balance and coordination seem okay?Is he able to eat, drink, and go to the bathroom normally?Are his gums nice and bright pink?Is he reasonably alert or is he slipping into unconsciousness. So far... I'm not too worried. A puppy who's able to sleep comfortably and play isn't likely to be seriously injured. Have a look at his gums, etc. please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) no trouble breathing but he was panting slightly before he went to sleep

2) He fell asleep about 40 minutes later but it was past midnight which is normal for him

3) He can walk around just fine

4) He went to the washroom normally after

5) His gums are bright pink

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
This is all very reassuring news. Can you tell me what his respiratory rate is now that he's sleeping? Please count the total number of breaths in one minute.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We had to wake him up to check the gums - should we still count his breaths?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Yes... that's okay. I'll consider that he's awake when you give me the result. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has done 94 breaths in one minute

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
So he's totally alert and awake and active now? Sorry for making you wake a sleeping puppy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is not fully awake but not fully sleeping, while we counted the breaths he was lying on his pillow relaxed but awake

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Okay. That's pretty fast, but tiny puppies can breathe that fast under normal circumstances. No coughing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is 13 weeks and weight 2.3 kilos. He is now asleep and it was from 80-90 breaths per minute

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Yep. He's a pretty tiny guy. And does his breathing seem normal to you, or is he distressed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He doesn't seem distressed, his stomach is rising and falling normally. There doesn't seem to be something overtly alarming in his breathing but he was panting before he fell asleep. I also am worried so I'm not in the most objective state, but my fiancé says his breathing looks normal

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Good. That's all reassuring. While an online consultation is no substitute for medical care, you have NOT said anything that indicates to me this is an emergency. Whew. That's good news. That being said, if you were my client and called me after hours on an emergency basis, I'd tell you if you were worried about him enough to call, I'd agree to meet you at the clinic. Better safe than sorry...But nothing you've said sounds like an emergency.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Does this help to answer your question tonight?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you. If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you. If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.