Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has just eaten the foil lid of a cream pot. What should

My dog has just eaten the foil lid of a cream pot. What should I do? She's not showing any ill effects but I'm worried because it is metal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How big was the lid? 2- How much does your dog weigh? 3- How long has it been since she ate it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lid was 85mm diameter
She weighs around 28kg
Half an hour since she ate it
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, as you may already know the concern is that the lid can cause an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.2- Do not induce vomiting the foil can damage the esophagus on the way out making matters worst. 3- Change her diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move lid out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you check the stool for the lid.4- I would follow up with family vet tomorrow for an xray to make sure it is passing through the gastrointestinal tract without any problem. 5- If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.