Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog caught his paw on a bench at the park and now wont walk

Customer Question

my dog caught his paw on a bench at the park and now wont walk on it he will put pressure on it occasionally , he will run and jump up on furniture , ive had a look and a feel he doesnt yelp or bite if i touch it , he will just lay there and allow me to touch him and massage his joints is it possible he has brusied or sprained it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bob. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How long ago did this happen? This could be a broken toe, a bruise or a sprain. Often the only way to tell if there is a broken toe, is to take an Xray. It sounds like he needs some pain medication, whichever it is. The most effective and safe pain medications are by prescription (tramadol, carprofen, meloxicam, deracoxib). Some dogs can take aspirin; it makes many dogs vomit. You could try a baby aspirin or a low dose aspirin, one per 15 pounds of body weight, once to twice daily. Give with food, and stop if there is any vomiting. Do not give ibuprofen, Advil, or Aleve to a dog, ever. I hope he is better soon. Let me know how he is doing and what other questions you have. Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this only happened an hr ago, he isnt making any sounds as if he is in any pain at all he is just limping on only put slight pressure on the leg

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
If he won't put weight on it and is limping, it is because it hurts. Dogs do not always use their voices to express things like pain, so we have to read their body language. If it is a bruise it will be better in a day or so. A broken toe bone (there are three tiny bones in each toe) or a sprain can take weeks to heal, but usually a dog will start putting weight on the foot in a week or so.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything else I can answer, or help with?
Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Please do let me know how he is doing.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Lisa,
How is Bob doing?
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I hope my answer was helpful. I did not hear back from you! Let me know if I can be of further help. Rebecca