Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I think my 6 year golden retriever has eaten 2/3 old paracetamol

Customer Question

I think my 6 year golden retriever has eaten 2/3 old paracetamol tablets.She got into my open bag and took them out
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Paracetamol (acetaminophen) can be troublesome when dogs ingest greater than 30 mg/kg at which point decreased tear production can occur. Hepatotoxicity (liver damage) can arise at doses of greater than 75-100 mg/kg. It's very unlikely that 2 or 3 of your tablets contain enough acetaminophen to intoxicate a dog the size of Honey. Do you know the milligram strength of those tablets?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just find the packet and these were 500ml
Thank you...and how much does Honey weigh, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is about 38 k
Thank you. Even if she ingested 1500 mg (3 x 500 mg) that would constitute 1500/38 kg = 39 mg/kg which might cause a transient decrease in tear production but little else. There's no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner. I expect Honey to remain unaffected. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help she is all I have she is my sole mate even when she is naughty.
Even when naughty they're wonderful. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi just wanted to let you know Honey seems fine today eating her meals and into mischief. Thanks again for putting my mind at rest.
That's good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.