Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My puppy is 5 months old. She came to me at 3 months old,

Customer Question

My puppy is 5 months old.
She came to me at 3 months old, and was on royal canine maxi which was way too advanced for her tummy. So I put her on royal canine paediatric now she has still had sloppy poos since I got her. My previous dog was on James well beloved with no problems. So I bought some on Friday and have been mixing the food 50/50.
She's still very sloppy, and pooing all the time... How long will this last? Do I give her less food all together?,
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Gracie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Has Gracie been tested for parasites? If she has a parasite such as Coccidia or Giardia or worms, she might have loose stools until she is treated. Most parasites and worms are too small to see without a microscope. There are many things that can cause loose stools in young dogs: diet allergies, EPI (pancreas not producing the enzymes needed to digest food properly), infections, as well as parasites. I had a kitten that never had a formed stool. I did lots of things, testing, different diets. What finally worked was Royal Canin GI diet. Let me know what other questions you have about Gracie. Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long do I give her on her new food transition etc,
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Before trying a new food, I would have a stool sample checked under the microscope. If this is due to parasites, changing the food will not help.
Usually when I change a diet, I mix 1/4th new food for a few days, then half and half for a few more. Usually after a week, you can stop the old food, and start the new.
Probiotics, beneficial bacteria supplements, might also help her. I like ones made just for dogs, like Proviable and Fortiflora.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's always had the parasite tablets does this mean she can still be affected.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Yes. There is no one wormer/parasite medication that gets all parasites. What is in your parasite tablets?
Not all parasites are worms. If she has Coccidia or Giardia, your parasite tablets will probably not help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If she has not actually been tested for parasites, that is the first thing I would do. No diet will help, if this is from a parasite.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with, and how she is doing.
Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Is this helpful? Can I answer anything else?
Kindly consider rating my answer; that is the only way the website credits me for helping you! Let me know how she is doing. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please let me know how she is doing. Rebecca