nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has had a poo but never realised it had stuck in its

my dog has had a poo but never realised it had stuck in its hair near its bum,its went hard & now he cant have a poo as his bumhole is covered & when i try to clear it off or wash him he is very aggressive & tries to bite me so viciously, can i get something to sedate him at home so i can clean it away?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As I am sure you can appreciate, there are few over the counter sedatives that are safe for dog use. The only real options you can try would be to give a dose of Piriton/Chlorphenamine (4mg) or Sleepeaze/Diphenhydramine (only 0.5-2mg per pound) as this can make dogs drowsy. Otherwise, if Max has been seen by his vet recently, you could ring to see if they'd be happy to dispense a dose of Acepromazine to sedate him at home for you.

Otherwise, you could have him to his vet for a quick clean. Often vet practices will offer a nurse appointment at a reduced fee for these types of situations. Alternatively, a local groomer could also do this for you too. Both will have muzzles and be able to remove this safely without risk of any injury. So, you can try the above medications to make him drowsy, ring for Acepromazine, or use one of these options.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )