Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

One of my dogs has been sick 6 times today since 2pm. She didn't

Customer Question

One of my dogs has been sick 6 times today since 2pm. She didn't eat her food unil this eve which is very unusual but brought it back up an hour later. She is alot quieter and still than usual
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- How much does she weigh? 4- Any diarrhea? 5- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 - No
2 - None
3 - 17kg
4 - No
5 - Lethargy
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pale pink
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've compared her gums with my other dog and they are paler
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, vomiting and lethargy can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes.Her gums being pale is a concern, this is a sign of either: Anemia (decrease red blood cells), blood shifting to other places, decrease blood pressure, etc. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If you have access to ER vet I would have her checked tonight. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by family vet in the morning: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). 2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Continue to offer small amounts of water. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter