Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog had her puppies 4 days ago and she has not got a lot

my dog had her puppies 4 days ago and she has not got a lot milk in her tites
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about the quantity of milk your Molly is producing.How are the puppies? Are they content, nursing well and then sleeping soundly, fat and growing? It may very well be that her mammary glands don't look engorged because the pups are feeding well. In dogs supply matches demand, so if the pups are content and growing well then her supply may be just fine. If the puppies are constantly crying, not growing well and cannot seem to settle or sleep for long then we do need to be concerned. But overproduction of milk can lead to mastitis, so we don't want that either.I am a bit concerned about her poor appetite. She should be eating a high quality puppy food and she should be fed several meals a day. Right now it will be difficult for her to physically eat enough to keep up with the demands of producing enough milk, healing and maintaining her weight only eating 2-3 meals a day so I recommend trying to feed 4-5 meals a day. If you feel she isn't drinking enough then add low salt beef or chicken broth to canned food to get additional fluids into her.Some new moms get nervous and don't like to leave their pups for any length of time. If that is the case with her try putting her water and food dish next to her whelping box so she can see the little ones even when she is eating. If her pups are not content, she is running a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103.5F), she has muscle tremors or is vomiting then she may have low blood calcium or hypocalcemia (seen especially in small breed dogs after delivery) or an infection, either mastitis or a post-whelping uterine infection. I recommend that you check her mammary chain and look for any signs of redness, firm swelling or pain. If those are present then mastitis is possible.Does she have any yellow, or foul smelling vaginal discharge? If so a post-whelping uterine infection is possible.If these conditions are possible she needs to see her veterinarian as soon as possible.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi can you give me some advice how to get her apatite bck

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
The best way to get her eating is to offer enticing food frequently and make sure that she isn't overly anxious about her puppies. Relaxed moms eat better than stressed ones. So if she is stressed by lots of coming and going then she needs more privacy and access to her and the pups should be very limited.Warming the food, using canned food, adding broth to it or top dressing it with a little meat baby food, minced chicken or scrambled eggs are all fine things to try.The important thing is to make sure that she isn't eating because she isn't feeling well. So watch her for fever, abnormal vulvar discharge, tremors, vomiting or hot, swollen, painful mammary glands.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.