Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog is receiving treatment stomach ulcer. She has

Customer Question

My dog is receiving treatment for a stomach ulcer. She has two daily doses of 9 ml Tagamet and the same of Maalax. The past few days I have been feeding her small amounts of chicken and rice but every time I try to increase the amount per meal and feed less frequently she starts to vomit.
Just to complicate matters she also had an incident of canine vestibular dysfunction two weeks ago. She is still a little wobbly. I don't know if this is making her feel queasy. She seemed to be doing so well a day or two ago but now is not doing so well.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.This poor girl has been through so much recently. First, I do think it sounds like she needs a medication adjustment. I highly advocate you phone your vet before they close today to see if this can be made. First, she needs to be on something prescription to stop her vomiting. The ideal is something like Cerenia because it will stop vomiting and help with any residual nausea/vertigo that might be remaining from the Vestibular syndrome (although this usually only lasts about a week). This is prescription and you need to get from your vet. Unfortunately there are no anti-vomit medications that will work better than tagamet over-the-counter for her. :(Second, if she really has an ulceration, why is she not on sucralfate? Our usually therapy is an H2 blocker (such as Tagamet or Pepcid AC) and sucralfate. I do not think the maalax will hurt but I also do not see this as helping to treat the ulcer. IT also may coat the digestive tract and must be given about an hour after any other medications like tagamet to hope it helps. So, I would ask your vet about sucralfate. Another huge question is WHY does she have an ulcer? (did she get into something to cause or is this primary and if primary why does she have this...we start to worry about a lesion in her stomach that might need further evaluation such as with endoscopy for a visualization and a biopsy).Food which is your primary concern is a tough question. In a way I do recommend continue to try to offer her small amounts of the bland diet. Perhaps try people baby food the pureed chicken variety. She may vomit it up, and this is why she needs the anti-vomit medication from her vet.If you feel she is still wobbly and perhaps the vesbitular vertigo is still a problem, then you can safely substitute for the Cerenia (mentioned above) meclizine (Dramamine non-drowsy) which has no side effects and will not interact with what you are already giving. We give about 1 tablet once daily. It helps with motion sickness that comes with the Vestibular syndrome.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She most probably has an ulcer because she is a terrible scavenger despite my best efforts. My vet thought the Cvd symptoms could take up to three weeks to resolve.so maybe she is getting the odd attack of vertigo still. Vets closed here in Uk 5.45pm. If she is still vomiting tomorrow I will call them. I guess she is not on anything other than the drugs mentioned as he vet may be playing a waiting game. Her gum colour is good and there is no blood in the vomit, just I digested food and froth.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like she is stable, which is excellent. If she is still having vertigo, then adding in meclizine may be a good step. You should ask your vet. Or, the alternative which would be my preference is Cerenia (maropitant citrate) which can help with both vertigo and the vomiting. The vomiting could be due to the vertigo. They may go hand in hand. However, it is not typical for the vestibular syndrome to worsen after 10 days. It usually only improves. If an when it worsens we must re-examine our initial diagnosis and wonder if there is something else causing her vertigo and wobbly mobility.I also highly recommend ask about use of sucralfate for ulcer treatment. This is our standard medication in most situation. Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have offered tiny meals every two hours today, so far so good. If she starts to vomit again I will go back to vet tomorrow (Monday) and discuss the sucralfate as well. Partly I think she is really needing to be built up physically because she has lost weight. She seems tired out poor little thing.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
This sounds just excellent. Conservatively optimistic. Thank you for the update.