Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My ***** ***** has started showing the middle of her spine,

My ***** ***** has started showing the middle of her spine, she is a good weight, not too much and not too little, is this anything to worry about?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for your dog. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first, if you don't mind:1. How old is she?2. Has she lost any weight recently?3. Does her abdomen appear more distended?4. I'm assuming that her appetite is good, correct? No other symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, change in thirst or lethargy? There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is coming up to four years old, her weight has been about the same for a couple of years, around 7kg I think. her abdomen is fine, and so is her appetite. At home she is very relaxed all of the time, but I think it is as she is just a 'lazy' dog, but she does do a lot of exercise and it doesn't stop her, agility, obedience training, tracking etc. so she isn't a static dog. It is 4 bumps on her spine that are visible, about half way to two thirds of the way down her back.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I don't know that I'd necessarily be too worried about what you're seeing if she's otherwise active and has no other symptoms. Since she sounds so active, it's quite possible that she's losing weight even though it might not actually seem like it. An actual weight comparison might be of value if you can weigh her at home or take a quick visit to the vet's office for a weigh in. In general, when I can feel the spine on one of my patients who's not ill (or a senior dog), it means that they're a little on the thinner side. There's nothing wrong with this, of course, but I'll usually advise feeding a bit more food. Dogs who have other conditions which might cause muscle wasting or loss of muscle tone typically show this loss on other parts of their body...not just their spines. They also might have a more distended abdomen which clearly isn't the case here. I probably wouldn't be too concerned at this point in the absence of other symptoms but I might increase her daily calories. I hope this helps. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.Kind regards, Deb