Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 12 year old Labrador is in some discomfort I can't get

Customer Question

my 12 year old Labrador is in some discomfort I can't get to the vet until Monday can I give him some soluble paracetamol.
I believe it is arthritis as he was unable to walk at first
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Jasper but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he has arthritis in his body, given his age and breed, which might be responsible for the signs you're seeing.Of course, it's possible that other conditions such as problems with his spine could also cause difficulty walking although in some patients it's not always easy to determine if the issue is neurologic or orthopedic. But, regardless, as long as he's not vomiting nor currently taking any non steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, then Paracetamol (Acetaminophen)can be given. Just be sure to avoid its use around cats since it can be toxic for them.The dose I suggest would be 5 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset. For example, if he weight 60-70 lbs, then his dose would be about 300-325 mg at one dose.I'm not familiar with the soluble product but if you provide the concentration (milligrams per cc or ml), then I can tell you how much to give if you're uncertain as to his dosage. My only hesitation about its use would be that it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe but a few doses should be fine.I hope this helps and that he can receive much needed relief. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,I'm just following up on Jasper. How is he doing since yesterday? Deb