Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Is it normal dog to shake a few days after firework

Is it normal for my dog to shake a few days after fireworks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Unfortunately it is not normal for a dog with thunderstorm or firework phobias to still be trembling/ shaking several days after the event. The stress can cause gastric upset and so your dog can potentially be having something else going on such as stomach ulcers as a result of the stress. If there is any way to get your dog out of the house and on a walk to get the mind to move forward from the events a few days ago this can also help get the gut moving as wellFeeding a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken and if you have an antacid such as pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours or prilosec (omeprazole) 1 mg/ kg daily to help settle the stomach then hopefully we can get your dog feeling a little better but it is not normal to have this response 24-48+ hours after exposure to fireworksI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We only had fireworks last night,but my dog is still nervous will it stop soon, she is nervous about going out, for long walks
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Ah ok, yes it can still be from last night. If you can walk around your own yard or even laps around your house that can help the brain move forward from the fear response but hiding and trembling is living in that moment still so we need to do something to help her
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
If you have any benadryl (gravol I believe in the UK) you can use this to help sedate a little and hopefully allow her to rest comfortably at 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours. Less than 1% do have the opposite effect and have increased pacing but it is very rare...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do to help her.
I gave her some serene_um drops tonight, but no fireworks went of.
What else can I try
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
As I mentioned the gravol or the benadryl (diphenhydramine) which is a human formula available at your local grocery or pharmacy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help.
I hope she will be back to normal in a few days.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, I am so sorry these fireworks frighten her so! Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am going to be taking a lunch break in a few moments so will be away from my computer. Please let me know if I can clarify any additional questions but if you are satisfied please rate our conversation on the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog Penny is a lot better tonight she has eaten something, and she is not shaking as much now.
But she will not come out from under the chair is this normal?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You should encourage her out from under the chair and close that room off so that she cannot hide. This will not resolve without getting her to move forward mentally from her experience and hiding is only going to exacerbate it. I would talk to your vet about getting her some anti anxiety medications to help her through this (alprazolam for example)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for all your help and advice, I will talk to my vet for anxiety medication.
It is only at bedtime she will hide.
She is a nervous dog she is a rescue dog.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome and best of luck to you both.I would very much appreciate you rating our conversation at the top of the screen or if you are unable writing your rating (excellent, good) in our chat as an alternative
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am not compensated until you do the rating, thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Penny still shakes occasionally, as I said she is a nervous dog, the slightest thing she shakes, like a car backfires, lorries with air brakes that screech, so you think she has anxiety.
From Elaine
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Yes it sounds like you need to discuss anti anxiety medications are warranted to control her anxiety issues
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another question for you, occasionally when she's under my chair in the lounge or my bedroom, I try and get her out she snapes at me, she doesnt bite she just nippes, why is this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you answer that question for me?