Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My year olds staffy has gone off her food took her to

Customer Question

My year olds staffy bitch has gone off her food took her to vets who said it could b a food intolerance, put her on a 5 day bland diet of chicken pasta rice scrambled egg , of which she only eat the chicken , then put her back on the food she has always been on , she is not eating again and has gone very naughty jumping up barking biteing nd not doing as she is told , what could the problem b
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry that Ava is having issues with reduced appetite recentlyUnfortunately if there is an underlying process going on (food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease to name a few) then the gi tract will be more susceptible to giardia, bacterial overgrowth, clostridia, campylobacter which can result in further gi issues such as her reduced appetiteSo that leaves you with a few options1.) Doing a food allergy trial. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra-During the food trial she cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies2.) Starting a probiotic from your veterinarian such as proviable which is a probiotic that has no meat based products in it.3.) Unfortunately if her appetite does not return then the recommendation is going to be more aggressive. Abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the thickness of the intestinal tract layers throughout and possible endoscopy/ colonoscopy to evaluate and biopsy the layers of the intestinal tract with a camera and without an invasive surgery4.) Lastly, there is a blood test to ensure the pancreas is not part of the problem and this is a specific test called a tli, folate, cobalamin levelI have a food allergy dog and this can be quite a challenging situation. She is on the royal canin h/p formula longterm and whenever she gets anything else she breaks with loose stools :(I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with!If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlierPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!