Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 1 yr old French bulldog who keeps being a bit sick

Customer Question

I have a 1 yr old French bulldog who keeps being a bit sick after drinking water, he has very closed nostrils and his snoring/snorting has got worse as he has grown. He is not having to trouble breathing when running around although pants after a short burst of running about. He is well in himself I am worried about BOAS but have just changed my insurance so can't talk to my vet for 2 wks or I won't be covered. Do you think it sounds like BOAS or just normal issues that come with Brachycephalic dogs??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, I would expect to find an overly long soft palate obstructing his upper airway and interfering with how well the opening to his windpipe closes when he drinks and thus inducing his "being a bit sick after drinking water". Everting laryngeal saccules, hypoplastic trachea (smaller than normal windpipe diameter) and stenotic nares round out the findings in the brachycephalic airway syndrome. Dexter sounds as if he's an excellent candidate for surgical correction of these abnormalities. His trachea isn't correctable, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply, I thought he would need his nostrils doing and I understand its common to have long soft palate. Is the trachea something he can live with? can I give him anything to ease him till I get to see a specialist?
You're welcome. It's best to correct all of the defects while he's anesthetized just the one time. Yes, if he has a hypoplastic trachea he can still do nicely as long as you limit exercise as need be. If dyspnea (difficult breathing) is severe, minimizing my patient's anxiety with sedatives (i.e., butorphanol, acepromazine) and administering a corticosteroid such as prednisone to reduce airway inflammation and swelling is indicated. Otherwise, Dexter needn't be treated prior to surgery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again thank you, ***** ***** my homework before buying Dexter and you I suspected that when he started being sick after drinking that it would be this. Due to just changing his insurance I can't get him seen with any new issues for 2 weeks as I am sure you know, so I will get him seen by a bulldog specialist vet after that time.
Sounds good. It doesn't sound as if urgent attention is necessary at this time. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.