Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My friend's ten week labradoodle has just slipped out of my

My friend's ten week labradoodle has just slipped out of my arms and banged his forehead on a tile floor. It was from just below human knee level. There was a bang on contact with the floor. He sat up but didn't want to be touched for a minute or two. He then just seemed a bit quiet, but was alert in as much as his ears were twitching and he was looking up at what was going on. He could walk okay but appeared tired and wanting to lie down. He did eat a treat. My friend is watching him and will probably call her vet but I am worried sick that he is properly injured. Please advise.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this fall. At this time, it doesn't sound like the worst case situation. In all honesty, the biggest injuries that I see at my ER from this type of situation are ones where they actually fall and break a leg. If he's walking ok, has eaten that treat ok, and is just quiet - it would seem that this fall just caused some mild discomfort and all he really needs is rest and time to get over it.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
If he was holding an eye shut, not walking / not putting weight on a leg, not eating, or seeming painful - then the situation would be one more concerning to require a vet visit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. It was like he was a toddler who had walked into a glass door; a bit shocked and dazed and just wanted to be quiet and feel sorry for himself. Would that sound right? His eyes were open and clear, he just looked a bit sad. Might he have a headache like we would?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Taking a fall like that can cause a little bit of disorientation and confusion right away. He probably has a little discomfort at the site that took the brunt of the fall. More than likely time and rest is going to let him get back to his normal wiggly and happy self.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much; I appreciate your advice.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm hoping this little one does as well as I'm expecting!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gosh, so do I. They have only had him for two days. My friend is hysterical.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
It can be frightening with one so young taking a fall like that. I'm hoping again for the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely no problem!