Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My lovely little 3 year old terrier has always had a

Customer Question

Hello, my lovely little 3 year old terrier has always had a watery left eye which can sometimes flare up and when this happens she seems to rub it with her paw. I have taken her to the vet regarding this and twice I was told conjunctivitis and given eye drops but after a second opinion, a different vet has said her eye is ever so slightly raised out of the socket and hair rubbing causes it to water. The vet said some dogs can have an operation to correct this. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to stop her eye watering, she doesn't too agrivated by this problem however she is a tough Cookie. What is your opinion on operating on this and is there anything you would you suggest I can do? I love my dog and want her to have the best quality of life. Louise x
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry that Evie has been having trouble with that eye - I'll do my best to help. Trichiasis is the word we use to describe a condition where the normal contour of their skull causes hairs from the side of the nose or from skin folds around the eyes to touch the eyeball itself. This is most common in short/pushed nose breeds like pugs, shih tzus, lhaso apsos, etc. This sounds like it's what you're describing. Most cases of trichiasis don't cause significant discomfort, but if you're seeing a good bit of tearing and watery discharge, then it could be that it's bothering her. Another condition called entropion can cause significant discomfort - with entropion the lid is actually rolled inward so that the eyelashes are touching the eye. In contrast to trichiasis, dogs with entropion have a lot of discomfort from the rubbing. I always repair entropion because it almost always causes the dog to squint quite a lot and be in a lot of discomfort. Rarely do dogs with trichiasis need surgical correction. Usually if I think trichiasis is the issue, it can be managed by keeping the hair that is touching the eye clipped short. If I think it might need surgery I usually refer the pet to an ophthalmologist. A couple of other things that can cause watery eyes would be allergies or blocked tear ducts. With allergies usually both eyes will water, so I'd not think it likely here. A blocked tear duct can cause a significant amount of watering and tear staining of the fur, but it's not painful in any way. It can lead to more frequent bouts of conjunctivitis, but mostly a blocked tear duct is harmless. A tear duct can be flushed or catheterized with the pet under anesthesia, but they often block up again so we rarely bother to flush them. The best person to decide if surgery could help the problem would be a vet who can see her in person. There are many causes of watery eyes, though, that don't need any specific treatment. In many cases, it's more of a cosmetic issue than a health or comfort issue. I hope that this helps - please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)