Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 3 year old Labrador is allergic to various trees and grasses

My 3 year old Labrador is allergic to various trees and grasses plus dust mite as well as wheat, potatoes, salmon, lamb, rice and dairy products. I have got his diet under control but have little or no control over the grasses & tree allergies. I have just started him on Tumeric but it is too early to say if it will have an effect. I have been trying to find some type of cream/lotion to ease his discomfort but am obviously worried about him licking it off and making himself ill. Have you any suggestions as to what I can apply and am I correct in giving him turmeric. Finally can you recommend the best type of bedding to use. Thank you. Moira.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello Moira, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.I'm sorry that Baxter appears to be allergic to just about everything in the world although it's good that you've found a food which seems to help him. Oral tumeric is appropriate to give him since it appears to have anti-inflammatory properties (as well as a number of other uses). You might also consider fish oil supplements such as Welactin (which is a liquid that can be drizzled on the food) which also have been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties.You might also consider starting him on a probiotic such as Forti Flora. Probiotics are not just useful for gastrointestinal issues but can also help to strengthen the immune system (which may be helpful in patients with chronic issues of this sort).In most patients with skin allergies, topical applications of ointments or creams aren't terribly practical for any number of reasons:-- there are typically too many places on the body where they'd need to be applied-- they're greasy and are messy-- the patient tends to lick them off as you mentioned which might cause gastrointestinal issues. If Baxter only has just a few lesions, then topical products may be something to consider.1. You could actually make a paste of tumeric powder which can be mixed with water (1 teaspoon powder to one of water).2. Vetericyn spray may be of help for some patients.3. Topical cortisone/steroid ointments/creams can be applied although I wouldn't want to use them long term. As to the best type of bedding, I'm not certain that there's a specific answer to that question unless you're asking about hypoallergenic bedding. (LINK) I hope this helps. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr DebThank you for your response, I shall certainly try the vetericyn spray and the Forti Flora pro biotic and the welactin, hopefully these are on the web somewhere as I have never heard of them (not surprising). I too am not keen on steroid treatment. Yes, I was talking about hypoallergenic bedding, I will source it somewhere I am sure, currently using cotton covers for his bedding. Thanks anyway.Regards: Moira.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Moira: You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. I know that Vetericyn Spray, Welactin and Forti Flora can be purchased online...at least here in the States. I would expect that you have the same accessibility in the UK but I can't know for sure, of course. I didn't think you'd probably want to use steroids but just thought I'd mention them. Allergies are such a huge problem for so many pets that I would also expect hypoallergenic bedding to be something that you could easily find with a little persistence. Best of luck with him. Kind regards, Deb