Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has been out of season/heat a week now

Hi, my dog has been out of season/heat for about a week now and is acting a little differently.
She now has little to no interest in playing (with people or other dogs). Spends most of her time sleeping and lying down. She also distanced herself from the family and likes to sleep out of the way (in the hall or different room).
She will not eat her meals but does take treats.
Is this normal (this is her 3rd season and she has not acted like this before)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Storm. If she had been bred or were going through a false pregnancy (which is exactly what it sounds like), then this behavior wouldn't be entirely unexpected...if it were more than a month or longer from her heat cycle. However, since she's been out of heat for only a week or so, I wouldn't consider this to be normal. Several possible thoughts come to mind as to why she might be behaving this way:1. She could be running a fever. If you have a thermometer, you can take her temperature. Normal is between 100 and 102.5.2. Since she's not spayed, I always want to rule out an infection in the uterus (pyometra) when female dogs aren't acting their normal selves.3. She could have a systemic disease such as an issue with her kidneys or liver or heart, for example, although she's a little on the young side for this.4. Some dogs will just have "off" days but will return to their normal selves within just a few days. If she's been acting like this for more than 2-3 days, then this isn't likely to be her problem. If she's been behaving this way for only about 24 hours and her temperature is normal, then I might monitor her for another day. However, if it's been longer than this and/or she's still lethargic, then a vet visit might be prudent. I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
And, best of luck with Storm. Kind regards, Deb