Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Help please. My partner accidentally gave my 14kg cav king

Help please. My partner accidentally gave my 14kg cav king Charles 1 zapain tablet instead of her gabbapentin.
Please please what do we do. Do I need to induce vomating and if so how best to do. Thx
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Unfortunately yes I would advise inducing vomiting as this product contains paracetamol (acetaminophen) which can be toxic to her liver. If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 tbsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.If still no vomiting I would consider a veterinary er to give stronger medications to induce vomiting but if you can give me the mg of the medication listed (For example, 30mg/ 500 mg on the front) then I can calculate the level of concern. I would, however induce vomiting regardless if you are able... If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thx yes it was 30/500. Grahams on way to get hydrogen peroxide now
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Perfect, these do absorb moderately quickly so we have that one hour window to induce vomiting
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a moment to calculate the level of concern to the medications
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
In dogs,acetaminophen is used therapeutically for analgesia at a dose of 10 mg/kg BID so for your dog that would be 140 mg and 500 mg was ingested (35.7 mg/kg). Clinical signs of toxicity are not typically observed in dogs unless the dose exceeds 100mg/kg, at which dose heptatoxicity (liver change) is possible We are well below that dose so you may see gi upset such as vomiting, diarrhea, reduced appetite but it is not toxic to organ function
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
For codeine, anecdotal analgesic dosages for codeine are usually 1 – 2 mg/kg q4-6h so for your dog that would be 14-28 mg so we are only slightly above that range for this medication. Some articles have suggested that dosages up to 4 mg/kg may required for pain management and we are really only at 2.1 mg/kg which may cause some sedation for 4-8 hours but otherwise there should be no other cause for concern unless your dog has any other medical issues that can cause an interaction with this product
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank goodness.We still induce vomiting?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I hope this makes sense and relieves a little of your worries, I would still induce vomiting to minimize the gi side effects that can occur with the acetaminophen and unfortunately she can have a reaction to either of these medications that are unexpected so I would err on the side of caution. If she doesn't vomit, however, monitoring her tonight is advised and if her symptoms of gi upset or heavy sedation are seen a veterinary er might be warrantedPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I hope we will be okay now, HP will be her in 10 mins so we get her to take that(which won't be easy!). We can take her to the best at 8.30am....they closed just 5 mins before this happened.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Of course they did! You can use a turkey baster to administer the peroxide or if necessary a piece of bread...
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am going to be away from my computer for a few hours in about 10 minutes so please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today before I go. Otherwise I will return as soon as I am able to clarify any additional questions
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, how is your Cavalier doing since you asked your question? Were you able to induce vomiting? I would love an update when you are able...Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes thanks she seems fine now. Was sick after the HP and a quick walk round the churchyard. Now snoring happily on my pillow so I'll try and get a couple of hours sleep!Thanks again
Linda Charnley
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
That is such great news, thank you so much for the update and rating :)