nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My springer dpaniel had been coughing last week and

Customer Question

My springer dpaniel had been coughing for the last week and is now having a nose bleed
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive just been told that he has had bouts of sickness bring up food and vile
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How old is he?
Has it been a harsh cough?
Does he get sick after an episode of sickness?
Any loss of appetite? Can he keep anything (food or water) down?
Is the nose bleed one sided or from both nostrils?
Is he passing a lot of blood or a small amount?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's 9 Years old, nose bleed from both nostrils he's eating fine then he has coughing fit and then he becomes sick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have u any idea what this could be
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Based on his signs, we be most suspicious that this nasal bleed is related to the associated upper airway inflammation that is also causing the coughing. As well, if we have an associated throat inflammation with this, it will cause not just coughing but sensitize the throat to trigger the vomiting as well.
With all this in mind, our main concerns here would be Bordetella (kennel cough) and Parainfluenza. Less likely causes would be foreign bodies in the back of the nasopharynx (where the nose and the back of the throat), lung or heart worm, or possible nasal disease (ie fungal infections, growths, etc).
Now in regards ***** ***** here, if his cough is severe enough that we are seeing nasal bleeding and vomiting, then we need to tread with care. And therefore, it'd be ideal to have this checked by his vet at this point. That way we can pinpoint which issue is present and get him started on antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories and decongestants.
In the meantime, to soothe his throat and reduce his coughing (and hopefully the vomiting too), you can try him with plain over the counter glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with him. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, this can reduce the irritation that is triggering his coughing fits and help let him rest until his check-up with his vet. Finally, just in case we have nausea as well, you can use a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia - 0.5tsp every 8 hours) as it will settle the stomach and also coat the throat. And to help with both signs, we can also offer a soft, light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg).
Overall, your lad's signs are most suspicious of an infectious upper airway agent causing inflammation in the nasal passage and throat such to initiate these other signs. Therefore, if he is so severely affected, we'd want to consider a check with his local vet so that specific treatment can be initiated (and more sinister issues ruled out), but we can use the above for the meantime to try to soothe this for him and keep him comfortable.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )