How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16340
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now

My flat mate came home with a kebab with garlic sauce and

Resolved Question:

Hi my flat mate came home with a kebab with garlic sauce and onions in the salad my dog stole a small amount of it will he be ok?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm very worried
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that your pup has eaten some kebab sauce with garlic and salad with onions.Onions and garlic can be toxic for dogs because they cannot digest them properly leading to nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and cramping, red blood cell damage, anemia and secondary organ damage. The toxicity is dose dependent however. That means that a dog must eat a certain amount of onions per kilogram of body weight to see signs of toxicity. They must eat 0.5% of their body weight of onions in order to see toxic effects. In a 9 kilogram dog that is 0.045 kilos (9kgs X 0.005 = 0.045).For reference a medium onion is about 0.825kgs.Do you think that he ingested that amount of onions/garlic?I doubt that a few onions in a salad and a little garlic added to the sauce will be enough to make a normal sized Cavalier sick.I don't think that you need to worry, but we don't want this to be a habit because the toxins can build up in his body. For future reference if they eat too many and clinical signs develop, supportive care including intravenous fluids (to keep him hydrated) and oxygen therapy are the main forms of treatment. Some dogs may require a blood transfusion if their red blood cells are damaged enough.The outlook for onion toxicity is good with early treatment but “guarded” in severe cases or in dogs that are not treated by a veterinarian.But in your pup's case this time I don't think he ate enough to get sick.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog is slightly overweight about 10-11 kilograms how much would he have to eat?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that information.If he is 10 kilos, then 0.5% of that is 10kg X 0.005 = 0.05kgs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So a quarter of an onion or less?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I'd say about 1/10th of a medium sized onion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but you don't think he will be sick? He should be fine? How quick would symptoms show?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
No, usually an entire salad would contain less than that amount of onion, and an entire batch of sauce probably would have about a teaspoon to a tablespoon of garlic. So a little sauce would have a negligible amount.If they get sick it can take anywhere from 24 to 72 + hours, the nausea and vomiting/diarrhea come first and then red blood cell damage can take several days to occur. But I don't believe your fellow will get sick. He didn't get enough.
Dr. Kara and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
The trouble comes when dogs get into and ingest parts of whole onions or the plants. Or when people don't realize and give small amounts repeatedly, as the toxins build up in the body. A one time small amount is not likely to be an issue.

Related Dog Questions