Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My jackawowa has been sick she is shaking and she is hot she

My jackawowa has been sick she is shaking and she is hot she will let you touch her stomach but it feels hard it isnt swollen she wont jump or walk far ahe just freezes on the spot been like this since last night
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Peppa is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is she vomiting? 3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 4- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It started about 11pm last night she has vomited twice its unusual as normally when she is sick she is back to being bouncy she has not eaten anything unusual at all and i cant take her temp i dont have a thermometre i can go and get one
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- How many hours since the last time she vomited? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its been a few hours since she vomitted her gums are pink and she only weighs about 4 to 5 kg if that
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, her unwillingness to walk and shaking could be a sign of pain. The fact that she is vomiting I suspect abdominal pain. Possible causes are: Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), ingestion of a foreign body, etc. Important to also rule out a fever (infections?). Less likely, some dogs could have similar symptoms with neuromuscular disorders like a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc. In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands on examination by family veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test as soon as you can. In the meantime this is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 of a tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).2- No food or water for 12-16 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract and pancreas time to rest. 3- After 12-16 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. 4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination as soon as you can. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u very much i take ranitadine so i will try and get her to the vet tomorrow thank you very much
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.