Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I discovered this morning that my 1 year old beagle

Customer Question

Hello, I discovered this morning that my 1 year old beagle girl has a fluid like bag under her front leg. What could most likely be the cause for this? Thank you for a short feedback
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Can you upload a photo of this "fluid like bag" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Image attached thank you for looking into it
Thank you! That appears to be associated with the point of her elbow. Please confirm if that's the case. If so, it would represent a hygroma - a false bursa, which is a nonpainful, fluid-filled swelling surrounded by a thick, fibrous capsule that develops under the skin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is exactly that area. What do you recommend?
Here's a synopsis of hygroma for you, Jennifer: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=2861 Please peruse it and then return to our conversation with further questions or concerns.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has soft bedding and additional day time bedding around the house. Could this also be caused by jumping or knocking her legs against something just like stone or tree stumps when she is in the field? She is very active during the day.
That would be unlikely. It takes repetitive trauma to result in these hygromas. A hygroma should be slowly developing. In other words, the swelling should have been apparent before now. If not, we need to consider alternative diagnoses such as elbow dysplasia - a malformed elbow joint and now a joint effusion (excessive joint fluid) which arises due to arthritis. I admit that this would be an unusual finding in a young Beagle, however, and such an effusion should be accompanied by a painful, lame dog.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So do you recommend that I should head to my vet tomorrow to get this checked? She is not lame, that's for sure :-) Lottie is only with us since she was six months. So i am unsure how the situation was with her previous owner.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would be the actual treatment?
I would never argue with having her vet take a look. It's easy to differentiate the fluid of a hygroma from that of joint fluid. If hygroma is confirmed, I would expect her vet to recommend additional padding - perhaps one of the commercial products designed to protect the elbow. We really do try to avoid invasive techniques when addressing hygromas. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for all your advise!
You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.