Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

Our Beagle is 5 years old and on two 400 gms Pexion a day

Customer Question

Our Beagle is 5 years old and on two 400 gms Pexion a day to treat for fits. This equates to £600 per year or £6000 if she lives for 10 Years. Drugs are cheaper online but may not be genuine. What is the most economical way to provide this treatment.
David
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- David, are you asking the most economical way in treating the seizures or using Pexion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using Pexion as that is the treatment she is on, 400mg twice a day.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
David, I will opt out and allow other experts to comment.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello David, I'm Dr. Bob. I am sorry for the situation in which you find yourself with your beagle. Has your veterinarian tried any of the other medications commonly used to treat epilepsy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, just Pexion so far
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Bob
I am not happy with this process so I am ending this chat and will request a refund.
david
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you, David. Pexion is a very new drug in veterinary medicine, and while extremely effective, as you've found, it is quite expensive. The older anti-epilepsy medications, phenobarbital and potassium bromide, are just as effective and much cheaper to use.The primary advantage of Pexion is that it does not have deleterious effects on the liver, thus it doesn't require periodic liver testing, as do the older medications. All the medications mentioned are effective, but the cost of the older medications is much less. The reduced cost of the medications themselves is somewhat increased by the periodic liver testing is required.I would suggest having a conversation with your veterinarian, explaining your situation, and asking if there isn't a more cost effective method of seizure control they might recommend to help you and your beagle. If there is a specific reason (like a known liver condition) for their choice of Pexion, your veterinarian should explain that to you. If I may answer any further questions for you, please let me know. Kind regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou Dr BobYou describe the situation accurately. Our Vet prescribes Pexion due to the reduced side effects which is fine. The reason for my contact with you was to see if the Pexion available online is reliable in quality as it is quite a bit cheaper and whether I can improve on a prescription charge of £18 every month if I wished to purchase the Pexion online. I am happier now and will not be persuing a refund.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the clarification, David. The online pharmacies in the U.S. are stringently controlled, so the medications are as reliable as those we veterinarians prescribe. Problems may arise when medications are purchased from out-of-country sources. While their hospital pharmacy is a source of the veterinarian's income, most will work with folks who are financially distressed to help reduce the burden, especially in the case of long-term medications. If I may be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Warm regards, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou Dr BobDid not realise that I was dealing with US Vet's, say's just answer UK at top of webpage, you are not in a position to help me so I will have to go for that refund after all, sorry.
Thankyou for your attention.
David
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I admit, I am a U.S. veterinarian, but the information I provided should be the same for the U.K. Beware of off-shore cut rate pharmacies, there have been many cases of fraudulent medications being sold through those channels, so caveat emptor (buyer beware)! Best regards, ***** *****