Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Hey my dog has been off her food, if i put in a treat she

Hey my dog has been off her food, if i put in a treat she will eat some off it, is she ill? or is it due to the fact that she's not been getting much walks recently as iv'e been ill, she is drinking water and wants to play with my other dog and she went
a walk with me today fine.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear Daisy is not eating well. Unfortunately reduced appetite is a very general symptom so we can try treating for this but if there is no change, her energy level does drop, or she begins to have vomiting/ diarrhea please consider a veterinary exam. - Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily 30 minutes before attempting to feed again which is an over the counter antacid to help settle her stomach-Offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. If interested and eating well please keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinarian sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both todayIf you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the treats i have given her were chicken bites they were for me haha but she wanted them so t get her to eat i broke them up and mixed it up with her dinner she's eating half of her dinner i do have a lot if rice so can try that. i did try a new dog mixer thing it was bacon flavor both my dogs didn't like it so when i went back to the old one she started not eating. but is it due to her not getting walks? or is it cancer or stomach issues? she is playing and acting herself apart from this
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
It can be related to reduced walks or simply stomach upset. The bacon flavored treats may have upset her stomach if she did eat them but it sounded like she preferred to avoid them.There is no way to rule out more serious issues so if this is not improving or progressively worsening I definitely would advise a veterinary exam as a precautionPlease let me know any additional questions I can assist with today!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just came back from garden she wanted to play shes also finished her dinner, i think i will try feed her some rice chicken with her dinners then slowly cut down on that kind off food but if still not eating by sunday then ill go to the vets
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear she finished her dinner, hopefully this was an isolated incident and there will be no further issues. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. If you are satisfied with my responses please rate at the top of your screen or type in your rating within our conversation, excellent, good, fair...Thank you and best of luck to you both!