nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My is trying to go a urinate every few minutes, she has

My bitch is trying to go a urinate every few minutes, she has urinated indoors twice,last night and this morning. This morning I noticed blood in the urine. She has only eaten a tiny amount of food, she is drinking, seems lethargic. She is 12 yrs old cross Rottwieler /Staff.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Based on Lilly's signs, we do have a few concerns. The most common one would be a urinary tract infection (UTI). Less common issues that we'd also have to consider at her age include urinary crystal troubles, bladder stones, kidney infections, and bladder tumors. As well, we can blood from the reproductive tract mix with the urine in cases of uterine infections like pyometras (usually we will see pus/discharge as well) but this could be ruled out if she has been spayed.
Now if we focus on the most common cause for a dog, then we do need to consider infection within the urinary tract. This can be quite common in female dogs and often arises from E.coli (a normal GI bacteria) gaining access to the bladder by fecal contamination of the female genitalia. If you have ever had cystitis, you will know that it is not a pleasant infection to have. We often see affected animals straining to urinate frequently while only producing small amounts of urine. The urine is often blood stained and can also be cloudy, or showing increased mucus/discharge. The reason we see these changes is due to the infection causing irritation and inflammation of the bladder. And this irritation, of course, also makes the bladder feel tense and sore.
To give her some relief at the moment, you can try to increase her urine dilution via increasing her fluid intake. This can be achieved by tempting her to drink or you can offer wet food, (as this is 35% water) to sneak some water into her system. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable.
Now while these urine dilution steps will help flush out bacteria and soothe that inflamed bladder, it often won't clear the infection on its own. Therefore, in your wee ones’s case, I would advise that is prudent for her to see her vet (urgently, though not an emergency situation).
If possible, especially since crystals in the urine can cause underlying cystitis infections and a problem itself, you should try and collect a urine sample (that can be a challenge since she is only producing small volumes). The vet will be able to analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals or glucose (a marker of diabetes). If infection is found, the vet will also be able to prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain relief to make her comfortable and clear the infection.
Overall, when we see a female dog showing these signs, we do have a range of issues to consider. That said, the most common reason will be a bladder infection. Therefore, do consider increasing her fluid intake and monitoring her, but also collecting a urine sample and getting her checked by her vet. The vet can perform a full examination to rule out those other concerns for her. And if a bladder infection is confirmed they can get her onto treatment and get her back to normal.
Finally, just to note in case you were keen to have her seen today, some veterinary practices in our country have Sunday office hours. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get her seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get her checked out sooner then there are options to have her seen today too.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. *Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )