Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - one year old has started

Customer Question

Our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - one year old has started barking at the Television every time he sees an animal. Then he rushes outside looking for it believing it is behind the Television. He goes on barking for ages and rushing around the house. I find it very annoying and cannot hear the Television. You would never believe how many animals are on the TV. Not only programmes but adverts. From the polar bear in the advert to the horses and carriages on Pride and Predjudice. How can I stop him - please help!!
Pauline Miles. miles.pauline @gmail.com
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Pauline and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It appears that Scooby is suffering from anxiety when he sees the animals on the TV. There are a number of things you can do, Pauline, to decrease this anxiety. First, purchase a DAP Collar available at the pet store. This will act as a calming agent. When this starts, tell Scooby NO! In a strong voice while shaking a coke can full of pennies. If he responds, praise him loudly and give him a treat. It also may help to take Scooby to obedience school even though he may have already have done this. This reinforces the obedience so that when you say NO! , he will listen and respond. Take Scooby to your vet for an exam and if there is no medical ccause for this, ask your vet for anti anxiety medications such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone which will make this retraining easier on you, Pauline, and Scooby. There is a way to stop this behavior and you just need to find the right way that will help Scooby. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Pauline for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Scooby can get over this!
Have a wonderful day!