nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I took on a pomeranian last May My vet say's he's about 8 -

I took on a pomeranian last May My vet say's he's about 8 - 9 years old he has no teeth.
He had been left to die in a pound because at that time he had a very bad chest infection with the help of my Vet the infection has cleared Max has been diagnosed with Thyroid and he has skin problems which I am also treating via my Vet. I make his food for him using turkey, oats and vegetables. I read on one site that under no account should I feed him poultry of any type
I did check it out with my Vet but as Max was the first Pom he seen for a while (I live in rural Wales and Mark is more used to cows and sheep) he wasn't sure. Also now and again he seems to have a weakness in getting up off the floor, but once up he runs around as if nothing is wrong I've had a full xray of his legs and body and everything seems OK.
If you can shed a light on it for me and advise on food and how much per day he should have I would be very grateful as he's a lovely boy.
Oenwen Jones.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, as long as the turkey/chicken is cooked, there is little risk. The problem with using poultry products raw is that there is a significant risk of Salmonella or Campylobacter exposure (which can cause illness for the dogs but can also lead to them being carriers that spread these to us). That said, if you are making a home made diet, you will want to have him on a dog specific vitamin/mineral to address any trace deficiencies that the diet could cause.
Now in regards ***** ***** much to feed, this will be totally dependent on the fat/calories/protein in what you are feeding (so you need to read the labels) and his weight. If you can tell me how much he weighs, if he is castrated, and how active he is; then I can determine the protein/calories he needs each day for you to then compare to those labels.
Otherwise, I do want to note a balanced poultry based diet recipe that you can use for making your own diet:
Poultry Meat and Boiled Rice Diet
1/6 pound (weight before cooking) poultry meat (76 grams)
1 cups rice, long-grain, cooked (160grams)
1 tablespoon sardines, canned, tomato sauce (17.5 grams)
0.5 tablespoons vegetable (canola) oil (7 grams)
1/8 teaspoon salt substitute-potassium chloride
1/20 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon bone meal powder (1.5 grams)
Appropriate multiple vitamin-mineral tablet
provides 439kcalories, 21.5 g protein, 18.6 g fat
supports caloric needs of 15 pound dog (7kg)
Finally, in regards ***** ***** mobility, this sounds most likely related to underlying arthritis. Therefore, I would suggest trying joint supplements at this stage.
Specifically, we often find glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs in these situations. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and examples of ones we typically use for dogs include Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in dogs with mild signs and would be worth considering here. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.
Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lad.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Max weighs 4kgs, castrated, I was taking him out daily but when his little legs started to play up I stopped in case taking him for a walk might cause more damage, in the house he's quite active. I always cook all the meat that I put into his food
Oenwen
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to hear you have been cooking the meat, as that removes those major bacterial worries we have for poultry.
Otherwise, based on your further information, Max needs a daily minimum protein intake of ~9 grams of protein. For calories, if he has a mild to moderate exercise level, then he will need ~304-342 calories per day. Of course, that can be adjusted as needed to keep his weight stable.
All the best,
Dr. B.
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.