nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 14 year old collie cross male dog,keeps scratching himself

Customer Question

My 14 year old collie cross male dog,keeps scratching himself and when he can't reach the itch he will gnaw at the area. I have bathed him and given flea treatment but, it doesn't seem to have done any good. Can you please advise me.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on Snoopy's situation, we would be concerned about a diffuse allergic skin irritation. It is quite possible that this was triggered by a flea bite (even if they are gone now), but we need to also address the lingering allergic reaction that leaves them still itchy even after flea and topical treatments.
In regards ***** ***** this, we often can do so with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Piriton (Chlorphenamine) and can give this at a dose of 4-8 milligrams every 8-12 hours for as long as is needed. Of course, if his irritation is severe, his skin showing signs of rawness or infection, or he continues to itch despite these; then we'd want to have is local vet treat him with a short course of steroids to dampen that immune response and get his skin as itch free as possible.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )