Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 10 year old fit Collie had his spleen removed with a tumour

my 10 year old fit Collie had his spleen removed with a tumour on, he was fine for a while but became increasingly breathless and distressed with an alarming heart rate, Vet said something about red blood cell deficiency...sent us home with some anti-biotics and steroid tablets (Friday) he died on the Sunday evening and we still don't know the cause. was it Lungworm?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. i am so sorry to hear about Scampy. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation, though.How long ago was his spleen removed?Was he anemic before his spleen was removed? If so, do you know how anemic he was? If you have his HCT value, that would help?Was he anemic on Friday? If so, do you know the value there?You mentioned that he had a tumor on the spleen. Was that tumor bleeding, or was his body destroying red blood cells?Whatever information you can give me would be very helpful in understanding his situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
spleen out Oct 2nd...because he was bleeding internally.....afraid I don't know his HCT value....yes he was aenemic on Friday sorry I don't know the HCT ...Vet said the tumour was bleeding and yes he did mention something about the red blood cells only 20% when they should be 40ish...and platelets not sticking so bleeding reccurring....at the end he ejected dark red blood from his mouth with afew sighs and a gurgleing sound from his chest and he was gone....most distressing...but I'm glad he is not suffering anymore. Sorry I cant me more helpful but I'm hoping it was not Lungworm..
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. I think it was sufficient. Again, I am sorry for your loss. I know it was probably a hard thing to deal with. The 20% and 40ish numbers you through out are the HCT numbers. The 20% is moderately anemic. Anything under that, I would consider severe. It is interesting that you mentioned his platelets. From what it sounds like, he went into a condition called disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC). It is serious blood clotting disorder that usually comes about from a severe inflammatory response. It is also common with a certain tumor called hemangiosarcoma. I am not sure if that was the tumor he had in his spleen, but it is the most common tumor dogs get in that organ. If that is the case, it had most likely spread already. With DIC, they exhaust their supply of platelets and coagulation factors, leaving very little ability to clot their blood. It is a life threatening condition that carries a very poor prognosis for recovery. It is very, very unlikely this was a lungworm. While they can get very sick, I have never heard of a lungworm infection causing them to get this severely sick this quickly. You would have most likely been seeing some coughing for a while, but it still usually doesn't end like this. Given his history, DIC is far more likely. My condolences go out to you and your family. Please let me know if you have any further concerns. Hope this helps. DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience