Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Can you offer any advice please? My (nearly)14 year

Hello, can you offer any advice please? My (nearly)14 year old dog...yorkie-shitzu cross, has been absolutely fine until about 30 mins ago. Suddenly his back legs weren't working well and seems to be walking like he's drunk. Then about 10 mins after that, he was sick and brought his dinner back up. He seemed to feel s bit better now he's been sick but is still walking poorly. He's had a drink just now. We went for a long walk around 6.30pm. Any ideas please???
Claire
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Oscar is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Does he have a head tilt? 2- Did this start before or after going for a long walk? 3- Are his back legs working now? 4- Any pre existing medical conditions? 5- Is he on any medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr Peter,
Thank you for getting back to me so promptly.
He doesn't have a head tilt. It all started about 40 mins ago, over 3 hours after getting back from our walk.
He had v low platelets for a while back in the spring but was treated with steroids and his blood count returned to normal.
No medication at present,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His legs are a little better but not great. He's drinking a lot.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's just taken himself off to bed.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only since he's been sick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, not really.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Can you check on him and see if he is walking better? 2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do........
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lovely and pink, he had a good growl at me which is standard behaviour from him!!!!:))
He was lying normally ...trying to get him to walk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once he gets going he can 'trot' well but still 'drunk' to start off with and when he walks slowly.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, what you are describing in Oscar could be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. The first possibility that comes to mind is a Seizure. When a dog seizes they can lose motor function to the extremities then go through a phase post seizure of weakness, abnormal walking, drinking excessively, etc. this can last from a few to minutes to as long as a day. It is also important to rule out thromboembolic episdoes (stroke like), neuromuscular like a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. There is nothing that I can recommend for you to try over the counter that will a significant therapeutic benefit for Oscar. Treatment for him will be based on underlying cause as described above. I would recommend having him checked tonight by ER veterinarian to rule out the above mentioned diseases. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Dr Peter. Many thanks for your response. It has been v helpful. ūüĎć