Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

About ten days ago we bought a west highland terrier pup from

About ten days ago we bought a west highland terrier pup from a "dog farm" for £525.00. The pup came from a "dog breeder" in Aberdeenshire and was from the same blood line as our beloved Laddie who passed away suddenly a few weeks earlier. We were happy with our newly acquired little pup. However, when we took him to a local vet we were informed that he had a misaligned jaw and we should consider paying £200.00 in the near future to have his "baby teeth" removed and hope that it would solve any future problem, which could result in expensive surgery in the region of £2000.00. The vet informed us that any insurance we took out on the pup would be of no use as the problem was present at birth. When I contacted the "dog breeder" he responded that my vet should phone his vet as his vet had told him that any problem with teeth would likely sort itself out; on the issue of him possessing insurance which would cover the potential cost he responded that he did not have insurance which would cover that. I find it difficult to believe that a "dog breeder", of several years standing, would not have an insurance policy that would apply in the event of treatment to remedy the jaw problem being required. I am awaiting the arrival of the "breeder's registration certificate" along with Kennel Club papers. What do you think?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I shall continue to wait for an answer.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. It would be very uncommon for a breeder to have health/pet insurance on their dogs. Typically, if there is an issue like this, breeders will either offer to refund the money you paid and take the pup back, or they will offer you a partial refund of the money you paid and allow you to keep the dog. That is about it. It sounds like two vets have given different opinions of what is going on at this point, so if I were you, before I proceed any further I would go to a different veterinarian and get a physical exam and a second opinion. If both of your vets agree that this dog has a defect from birth that will require you to spend more money on it, then I would discuss this with the breeder and ask for a partial refund. I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005