Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Our 10 yr old golden retriever has suddenly started to show

Customer Question

Our 10 yr old golden retriever has suddenly started to show involuntary scratching with his right rear leg followed by getting up and twitching and dragging that leg while attempting to walk. after a few seconds he walks and trots normally. He seems to be confused about this at the time but recovers and seems quite normal. Have you seen this type of thing before?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Yes, I have seen similar conditions and there are a few possible causes for this. One is that Oscar has an unstable disc in his back that is causing inflammation blocking the nerve supply. This can happen by just moving the wrong way and then the nerve supply is paralyzed for a short period of time until the inflammation resolves and he is back to normal. This does not show on a routine xray. It must be a contrast xray or MRI to actually visualize this as the defect causing Oscar's condition. The other possibility is that he has a medial displacement of his Patella or kneecap. This cauess the kneecap to dislodge from the socket interfering with the nerve supply causing the twitching and involuntary scratching. Once the kneecap falls back into place, Oscar will regain use of his leg. It is best to have your vet examine Oscar since, if this is an unstable disc, this could eventually rupture into the spinal cord causing complete paralysis. For now, give Oscar aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs when you see he has an episode. this will relieve the inflammation quicker and ease Oscar's discomfort. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your sweet Oscar will be ok!
Have a wonderful day!