nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My small terrier yelps like he is in pain every time he goes

My small terrier yelps like he is in pain every time he goes to the toilet for the 1st time each day. The stools are usually large and solid. If he goes after that they are smaller and soft. There is no blood and he does not appear to be in any pain other than when he goes to the toilet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Since the first stool in the morning will be the one that has been present in the intestine the longest, it can often be firmer, larger, and more uncomfortable to pass. So, this isn't an uncommon situation.
In regards ***** ***** Rambo, there are some steps we can take. Now fish oils can be helpful for moving feces in the upper portions of the GI but since they do get digested they are not likely to help here. Therefore, instead, we'd want to consider adding a small dose (1-2ml to start, but you can reduce if his stools get too loose) of a GI lubricant to his food. This can be cat hair ball treatment or even a small dose of OTC Lactulose or food grade liquid paraffin can be added to his meals. All of these are not readily absorbed, so they will help ease his fecal passage better then the cod liver oil.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )