Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Have a foxy, has had her first litter by emergency caesarean 50 hours ago. 7 pups. Had in

Customer Question

Have a foxy, has had her first litter by emergency caesarean 50 hours ago. 7 pups. Had intraop ivabs. Now has swollen tympanic abdomin. Panting ++, high heart rate. Rectal temp 39.2.
Still eating and drinking.
I have given more pain relief and clavulox.
It's 10.20pm here. Do I call the vet, or is this normal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Her abdomen shouldn't be swollen to the point of tympany nor should she it tympanic. Her temperature is considered within the normal range. The fact that she's still eating and drinking is a positive prognostic indicator and so while I'd continue the Clavulox, I'd substitute a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol or buprenorphine for the nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) meloxicam. It appears that your foxy is still too painful in spite of the meloxicam being on board. Yes, please call her vet with an update.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.