Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My ***** ***** has vomited all her food up and in one

hello my ***** ***** has vomited all her food up and in one vomit was a whole dog poo. shes shaking a little too should i call my vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear that Ruby is not feeling well. I will wait for your reply so I know we are connected. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, It is the combination of symptoms that strongly makes me feel that consulting a vet sooner is well worth it!Especially when there is any shaking/tremoring/shivering, which can suggest bad nausea or abdominal pain.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Also, I know that a vet can easily offer some good medications for the gastrointestinal tract that can far more quickly remedy the distress. In addition, even if dog poo was vomited up, we still don't know the underlying cause of distress. So, I do vote for a more immediate vet visit. I don't know which, if any, of these are available to you but they can help setttle the stomach some.To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. Wish I could do more. Hope that information helpsDr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she last vomited a hour and a half ago shes acting her usual self. would it been the poo?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
It's possible but I can't say no. Well, definitely can't say for certain just for liability reasons. I'm sure you understand. Wish I could be more definitive. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything i Can do for her here till the vet opens?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I mentioned a few different antacids that might be available to you where you live. Otherwise, can't really suggest any other antacid therapies or ways to settle the stomach. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thank you
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Hope it all works out okay. Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management