nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Good afternoon ,pls Assist urgently ,my dog is a German shepherd

Good afternoon ,pls
Assist urgently ,my dog is a German shepherd and has refused to
Eat or drink
Anything today ,he is panting as it's quite hot and inside his mouth it's super hot ,he isn't responding to us calling him ,we moved house five days ago and we thought he was not used to premises but this isn't the problem of him not being used to the house as his behavior is off
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Has he had any gagging, retching, lip licking or vomiting?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, distension, tenderness, or tensing?
Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His mouth is dry ,nose is dripping but it's not moist ,no vomit ,no lip licking ,Tummy is very hot and tense ,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm rushing to a pharmacy to give him Dworm tablets now so can't do the breathing rate but earlier on he was breathing quite fast
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
This is unlikely to be related to worms, so I do not feel that is necessary here and more likely a waste of your time. Instead, if he is breathing quite fast then its more likely he is not eating/drinking due to being in respiratory distress (since he cannot spare a breath to eat or drink). This could be due to a heart or lung issue, internal bleeding, anemia, or related to pain with that belly being tense.
So, I do think checking his gum color and the respiratory rate is much more important here. And I will stand by for you to return and check this.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I'm on way back to him now and will check on above
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.
I will keep an eye for your next reply,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gums are pink ,breaths 30 x 6 is 180
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to
Give him the tablets inside a piece of
Meat he doesn't want it
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Oh dear,
Now while it is good that his gums are pink (it makes internal bleeding and anemia less likely), this breathing rate is a worry. It is much higher then it should be since 20-30 breaths per minute is normal for dogs. And I have to note that if he is breathing this fast, there is a worry that he is doing so because of abdominal pain or because we have a lung or heart issue (which then we'd be worried that if he slowed this abnormally high breathing those gums could pale and he could collapse). As well, this is very much why he is not eating and drinking. He cannot spare the breath to do so.
In this situation, this won't be related to worms or the new house. We'd be more worried about a possible heart or lung issue. As well, this raises worries of a possible stomach twist (GDV) or ingestion of a toxic or non-edible item that is now damaging the gut.
With all this in mind, I am very sorry to say that this is an emergency situation. He needs to be seen by your local ER vet urgently. We need them to get him onto dog safe pain relief and possibly oxygen to ease his breathing. We need them to examine him, listen to his heart/lungs and also palpate that belly for those additional issues. Depending on their findings, he may need an xray to see what is going on internally. And if we have a twist or a foreign body, surgery may also be required.
Overall, everything you have reported is raising serious worries for Spark. He is in respiratory distress either due to not being able to breathe normally or due to a possible severe abdominal pain. Therefore, this is an emergency situation and he needs the above treatment as quickly as possible to help him settle and survive this.
Please take care,
Dr. B.