nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a tumour in his anal sac it is maglignent the vet

Customer Question

My dog has a tumour in his anal sac it is maglignent the vet has given him lactulouse to keep his stools soft but it don't seem to be working I was thinking of giving him syrup of figs as it seems natural he is happy at the moment but struggles to pass his stools
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much Lactulose are you giving Milo? How often?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3ml 3 times a day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 ml 3times a day
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Now in regards ***** ***** question, we'd not want to use Syrup of Figs with Milo. There are some dog unfriendly ingredients in this and it would likely cause cramping and GI upset.
Instead, we'd be better to adjust that Lactulose dose to effect or consider using liquid paraffin from the chemist as well. In regards ***** ***** Lactulose, if you are finding 3ml not enough to keep him moving his bowels comfortably, then you can certainly increase this as needed. In fact, we can give up to 25ml if we needed to. Of course, its unlikely we'd need to give Milo that much but just to give you an idea of how much wiggle room we have with this before actually needing to turn to other products. So, consider trying him with 5ml every 8 hours to see if that works better for him. If it does, we can keep him at that or wean it up a bit more until we get him passing stool properly for us.
Of course, as I noted, if we were to try this and still not find any joy for Milo, we could then try liquid paraffin from the chemist. This tends to be a very good GI lubricant and can be used on its own or with the Lactulose as needed.
Overall, he is on quite a low dose of Lactulose at this stage. Therefore, instead of using dog unfriendly products that will likely cause more issue then good, we'd just want to adjust that Lactulose dose until we get the desired effect for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )