DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

We are looking into taking on a retired guide dog. She sounds

We are looking into taking on a retired guide dog. She sounds perfect except that she has Atopic dermatitis and is on immunotherapy which is made specifically to suit her. The vaccine is administered once a month as can be made up into a solution that will keep for a year and will cost approx £200.
My question is:
How serious is this condition and is the dog likely to be in any discomfort? I am concerned as we have a 5 month old pup who is quite boisterous and she may not tolerate his antics. She is 7 years old and has lived with other, older dogs.
Trish
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I understand your concern about adopting a dog with a chronic condition like atopic dermatitis. They do not outgrow it. However it it great that she is on immunotherapy. This is an excellent treatment...and being started on it earlier in life means it will work much better. If the immunotherapy is working and controlling the signs then you have less to worry about. Occasionally she may have flair ups (you don't say if they know what she is allergic to). And may require steroids to control signs. Or she might be slightly more prone to getting skin infections of her skin is chronically damaged from the allergies....again it depends on how fast they got it under control and how well controlled the clinical signs have been. As far as getting along with your other dog....that probably has more to do with their personalities than with her condition. If you can introduce them a few times befor you bring the new dog into your home that would be best. If her skin is quiet and comfortable, there is no reason to believe that playing with the puppy will cause her harm. I hope his helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response to my question. I will take on board your suggestion of the dogs meeting each other before introducing her to our home and thepup. I will also ask a few more questions like do they know what she is allergic to, how long has she had this condition. does it flareup in certain situations.
Thanks for your help.
Trish
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Please remember to rate my response if you found it helpful.