DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog is 12 and has stopped eating and drinking this afternoon

My dog is 12 and has stopped eating and drinking this afternoon and he is constantly trying to pee.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Im sorry to hear that Barney is not feeling well. These are VERY concerning symptoms. Being a male older dog I suspect one of two things....either he has a urinary tract blockage- with a small bladder or kidney stone (like what happens in older human males) OR he has kidney disease. Either one can cause continual straining to urinate without producing much or any urine. Either one would make him feel very sick and painful which is why he doesnt want to eat. I highly recommend you get him to a vet as soon as possible to have him evaluated. there is nothing really that you can do at home to fix these things. I hope this helps. Best of luck with Barney.