nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

There. My 2 year old lab X GSD has what seems to be a sore

Hi there. My 2 year old lab X GSD has what seems to be a sore lip. I have two pictures: one from a few weeks ago when the lip was predominantly black and one from today where it is much more droopy and inflamed. Could I somehow send these to you from my phone so you can advise? Many thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has it been present? A few weeks or longer?
Any history of trauma to the lip? Any diet change before this?
What type of bowl are you feeding Bandha with (ie plastic)?
In regards ***** ***** those would be very helpful to let me see what you are seeing. To post them,
you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar above the text box you are replying with. Or if you cannot see that on your phone, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thank you. There is no paper clip so hopefully this link is the current situation https:[email protected]/23477197102/ and this one is the normal https:[email protected]/23585717035/ I am not very techie so I hope it works. He eats and drinks from stainless steel. Until recently he was fed on Barkingn Heads but always has loose stools so a few weeks ago we changed to Pure Pet which is dehydrated raw food which is soaked in warm water for 15 minutes before feeding. He may have cut the lip But I can't see anything. Please let me know what you think. Thank you so much!!
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Julia,

Success! You did well even if you don't feel tech savvy.
Based on the photos, the area does look significantly inflamed and I do suspect there was an initial trauma to the area but that we likely have a bit of lingering bacterial infection (deep pyoderma) here. This is quite common to see since the mouth is full of bacteria (not to mention how they love to put their faces into all sores) and usually we will treat these with oral/systemic antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, etc) to settle.
You could try salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) bathing or even using dilute chlorohexidine to cleanse this a few times daily. Still, with its location (close to lots of bacteria and not a good spot for topical treatment), we do usually need those aforementioned treatments from their vet.
Overall, this looks like a bacterial infection with inflammation. Therefore, we'd want to treat as I noted above but can try topical cleansing if it is mild in appearance there and he isn't bothered by it. But if it doesn't settle, then we'd want Bandha's vet to dispense oral treatment to clear this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )