Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is suffering from too much yeast, under her armpits

Customer Question

my dog is suffering from too much yeast, under her armpits and paws. She has not long had a course of Steriods and Antibiotics for a Fungal Skin Infection, I have tried lots of different treatments, but nothing seems to be working. She drinks a lot of water at once, is it possible she is Diabetic
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon Maria and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It appears that Amelia has allergies that is causing her to scratch which, in turn, irritates her skin causing a possible yeast infection called a pyoderma. Considering Amelia's age, I would also worry that she may be hypothyroid. The treatment for allergies is as follows, Maria: Give Amelia Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation and will dry out these areas so bacteria and/or fungus cannot grow. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures and blood work to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results. Diabetes is certainly a possibility, Maria, as well as a Hypthyroid condition so having blood work done for sweet Amelia is a very good thing at this point. Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****