Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My 2year old miniature schnauzer (23lbs) ate about 100g

Hi - my 2year old miniature schnauzer (23lbs) ate about 100g of dark choc last night - today I have seen no adverse affect, he's as greedy as he ever is! Do I need to do anything?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I'd like to help with your question.100gm of dark, sweet chocolate in a dog this size can cause intestinal upset, but it is not enough to cause the tremors and arrythemias that are so dangerous with chocolate in dogs.I wouldn't expect any problems except maybe some diarrhea in the next 24 hours. I would just monitor him closely. If he does develop diarrhea you can try a bland diet (white rice and chicken breast) until the diarrhea resolves. If it is severe you might need to get medication from your vet, but I wouldn't expect it to be severe.So, there is nothing for you to do now. Maybe just don't leave him alone and loose in the house because he might have diarrhea to day.I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks - I'll keep s close eye on him tonight :)
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Best wishes!