Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My puppy has had the runs all day to day and vomiting all though

Customer Question

my puppy has had the runs all day to day and vomiting all though it is just bile she is bringing up
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I'd like to help with your question. I do have a few questions that will help me know how to help you.First, is she willing to eat and drink. Second, did she have all her puppy shots?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she had all her shots she ate this morning not drinking
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I'm glad to hear that she ate something recently and it doesn't sound like she is that lethargic. Symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea can range from simple stomach upset to something much more severe. It is always best to take them to a veterinarian for some blood work and X-rays to determine if this is something serious. However, I understand that that is not an option at the moment.The big concern in a yorkie is that they are very small and can become dehydrated pretty quickly. There are a few things that you can do at home. First, you should try to get her to drink something. Diluted chicken broth often works well. I don't want her to drink a lot.... just try around 2 TBSP to start. If she drinks it and holds it down then she can have more in an hour or so. You just don't want them to drink a lot at one time because it can trigger a round of vomiting.Second, if you have it, you can give her 1/2 of a famotadine tablet (antacid) to settle her stomach. Dogs can also have a single dose of Pepto Bismol. A 10 pound dog would take 1/4tsp. Third, if she has not vomiting in 12 hours she can have small amounts of bland food. I like to use white rice and a little chicken. I start with small amounts and if they eat it well and don't vomit then they can have more. If she is doing well she can have the bland food for 2-3 days and then slowly transition back to her regular diet. The bland diet helps reduce the diarrhea.If she can not hold down even liquids, if she is very lethargic, if her gums are pale or her abdomen is painful then I would find a way to get her to an emergency vet.I hope that helps. If you have more questions, please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she is not her lively self but comes running if i pick her lead up i will try the antacid as i have that i have tried to find an emergency vet bu t there are none in my area i can take her first thing in morning
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Try the antacid and some chicken broth and keep an eye on her tonight. Best wishes!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you fot your help
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.Please rate my service!