nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My three year old cavalier has a scbby rash on his bk and tummy

my three year old cavalier has a scbby rash on his bk and tummy he takes meloicam for his brain condition any ideas
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like you today.
Based on your description, we'd be concerned about a bacterial skin infection or an allergic dermatitis (which isn't likely related to his brain issue but could be triggered by flea saliva, pollens, environmental sprays or treatments, or even a dietary proteins Leo could be sensitive to).
With all this in mind, e45 won't be of much benefit. For mild bacterial infection, it can help to salt water bathe the area or use dilute chlorohexidine to tackle infection. If he is licking the area, then an ecollar may be of benefit.
For mild cases of allergic dermatitis, we can try Piriton( chlorphenamine) with him. We would want to start with a low dose 4 mg every 8-12 hours) to see if this can soothe him.
Finally, since flea allergy dermatitis often causes scabs and signs along the back, it'd be worth treating for the just in case using a good quality spot on treatment.
Overall these would be out concerns and am initial plan of attack. Of course, if Leo's signs are severe, then we'd need to get his vet involved. Antibiotics can be used for infection. And if his itching is too severe for antihistamines, they may need to change his meloxicam for steroids to treat both issues for him.
All the best,
Dr. B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we use advocate every mth for fleas and parasites .will try piriton is ther a cream I can put on the scabs
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I am glad to hear that you have that base covered. So do try the Piriton.In regards ***** ***** for helping these heal, you'd need to ring his vet for Fuciderm since there aren't any OTC equivalents we can really use here. Though the bathing of these lesions will help.
All the best,
Dr. B