Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My dog Can not open his eye it's very red and swollen I

Customer Question

Hi my dog Can not open his eye it's very red and swollen I just got home and found him like this he was fine this moring
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Shadow's situation. Is it just one eye? Is the area around the eye all swollen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it's his right eye he keeps on putting his paw to it to itch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The area around the eye is very swollen
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for answering those questions. In a situation like this, I always like to be safe. With an eye that is swollen like this, it could be due to an injury to the area around the eye and to the surface of the eye itself. The most serious situation would be if there is an actual injury to the eye / surface of the eye such as an ulcer. This is something that needs to be treated as soon as possible to help it have the best chance of resolving quickly and safely. If it isn't treated, it could progress and possibly jeopardize the vision / eye itself. Could this be some allergic reaction? It can look similar, but it usually affects both eyes. Could it be some infection? One odd thing that can happen is where a tooth root gets an infection with it and the area below the eye gets all swollen and inflamed. This can come up very quickly. The best thing that can be done here is to get to your vet so they can evaluate this in person and to determine if this is something that needs anti-inflammatory therapy, antibiotics, or possibly a dental procedure for a tooth issue. I just don't like to take chances when the eye is involved.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm hoping for the best for Shadow!