Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have a three year old Viszla and she pees everywhere.

Hi. I have a three year old Viszla and she pees everywhere. When she is laying down. She will just pee. On the couch. On the bed. Wherever. She appears healthy. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I have a question before I can help you properly. Is the only time she urinates when she is laying down? Or will she stand up and go someplace and urinate inappropriately in spots in the house. Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only when laying down. I have three other dogs. She won't do it all day but will only do it in the evening. She literally just did it after being outside and watching her pee.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information,It sounds like Sadie is experiencing incontinence. Incontinence is when the muscle that allows your dog to hold her urine relaxes to the point that urine flows out. This often happens when dogs are sitting, lying down and especially when they are sleeping (since they are the most relaxed). This is not likely a serious problem although can occasionally lead to an infection on her rear end or in her bladder if allowed to be untreated for long periods of time. When your vet is next available have her urine tested to make sure she is not having any other urine related issues like an infectoin. If her urine is normal then there are a couple of simple medications like phenylpropanolamine that can help prevent this problem from recurring. For more information on incontinence see this website: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1724 I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more quesitons.Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That's what I figured. Is that only available through a prescription? Is there anything over the counter?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
There are many useless products available over the counter so if you search you'll find plenty, but if you want it to work reliably then you need to go prescription. The good news is that these products aren't that expensive. Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome!